All posts by
Kestrin Pantera @kestrin is an actor, cellist, and mobile karaoke bar impressario. She joins Heather and Kevin to talk about the RVIP Lounge, the #Occupy movement, and her creative work. Kestrin gets into the transcendent and emergent moments of tummeling, performance, and how you draw someone into something they might be nervous about.
Grant McCracken (@grant27 | cultureby.com) is an anthropologist. He’s been director of the Institute of Contemporary Culture, senior lecturer at the Harvard Business School, and research affiliate at C3 at MIT. He’s the author of Culture and Consumption, Culture and Consumption II, Plenitude, Big Hair, The Long Interview, Flock and Flow, Transformations and Chief Culture Officer.
Fresh from #ContactCon in New York, the gang connects with Deanna Zandt (@randomdeanna) and Dorian Taylor (@doriantaylor) to talk about privilege, taxonomies, social media alchemy, and the economics of cultural production.
Notes and Links:
- Christopher Alexander on A Pattern Language
- Deanna Zandt: “we walk in many worlds and belong to none“
- Creative Generalist
- Everything is Miscellaneous
- Prototype theory – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Native Tongue by Suzette Haden Elgin and Susan Squier
- Dorian Taylor on “Moving Society Past Information Hegemony“
- The Tyranny of Structureless
- Kevin Marks: “taxonomies are a hangover from the physical world“
- Kavin Marks: “says @doriantaylor ‘so I’m working with a directed graph’ ‘you mean a tree?’ ‘no I mean a graph’“
- Kevin Marks: “says @randomdeanna “privilege is a headache that you don’t know you don’t have” @heathr Like having an Apple experience, not Windows“
- Heather Gold: “I just asked: how much of privilege is only knowing one taxonomy?“
- Heather Gold: “‘Real communities are there before you actually need them.’ -@debs #tummel (you can’t parachute in and have ppl just respond)“
- David Graeber “On Playing By The Rules – The Strange Success Of #OccupyWallStreet“
- Kevin Marks on “Emergent Aristocracy“
- Tony Comstock on “Climax Ecology: Learning to See the Forest for the Trees“
- Feministe: Steven Greenstreet proves he’s definitely not a misogynist by making rape jokes
- CyborgCamp2010-SallyApplin | Strange Love Live (Talk Show) on blip.tv